In Memoriam

Sadly three of Trinity’s innovative and creative past students have passed away.

Lewis Ernest Fiander (1943-53)

An Australian and English stage, screen and television actor

When Lewis enrolled on 17 March 1943, Australia was at war and household provisions were severely rationed for those on the home front.  At Trinity he became a member of the Holy Trinity Church Choir, Kew, which was then conducted by the Headmaster of Trinity, Alfred Bright, who later became the leader of the Kew Philharmonic Society. While at Trinity, Lewis told the Headmaster that he was planning to become a doctor! Lewis became an actor at the age of 14 in 1952 with his first performance with the Australian National Theatre. He became a student of Gertrude Johnson, protégé of Dame Nellie Melba, and was offered a part in Emlyn Williams’ ‘Accolade’ directed by William Carr. At Trinity, Lewis worked on The Mitre and took part in several productions of Shakespeare’s plays and was labelled by his friends as ‘It’s started – up the National and good English speech!’  His father wrote to the Headmaster, ‘I am not unmindful of the wonderful help your able teachers are giving him and I wish to thank you for your own kindly interest. His ten years, at the school of his own choosing, have been memorable to us all and we hope they will stand to him as a foundation for his future.’

Over the summer vacation Lewis worked at the National Theatre as a publicist, a set builder and a general man about the theatre.  He became a turntable operator with 3DB, and secured a part as a school boy in a Terence Rattigan play at the Arrow Theatre Company. He was versatile and secured numerous leading parts in musicals, plays, films and television series, from comedies to drama. In 1961 he moved to England to play Hughie in ‘The One Day of the Year’, an Australian play about Anzac Day. Lewis enjoyed going on archaeological forays into North Africa and Greece. He died in Melbourne on 24 May 2016 and will be greatly missed by his brother, Trevor Dawson (1955-1962) and his son Adam David (1988-1989).

Ian Eric Pullar (1967-1972) died on 23 May 2016. Ian came to Trinity following in the footsteps of his older brother Peter (1962-1966). Their father, Francis Rutherford Pullar was an orchardist at Craigi Ardmona and the boys were boarders during their schooling. At Trinity Ian became the School’s projectionist, played chess and badminton and won the Jack Langley Memorial Prize awarded on the vote of the boarders. While working in insurance and telecommunications, Ian became interested in aero modelling and became a boating enthusiast. During 1976 Ian spent six months, with 15 others, sailing to Europe in the ‘Golden Plover’, a square-rigged sailing ship. Ian assisted with its restoration, sailed from Queensland and disembarked in Rhodes. He wrote, ‘The experience was fantastic, seeing so many exotic and unusual places and learning about many interesting other cultures.’ 

Howard Ross Hughes (1953-1966) died on 15 April 2016. His interests at School included bowling, football and swimming. During the 1970s Howard founded his own company Howard Hughes Engineering in Ballina, New South Wales specialising in boat building. In 1985 his company expanded into aircraft design and the manufacture of light aircraft. In September 1986 his first design was accepted by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority. Howard helped to instil a love of flying in the younger generations by taking school children on tours of his aircraft design businesses. One of his passions was a project for an environmentally-friendly, three-wheeled, two-seater solar and battery powered all-electric automobile.

Dr Jane Mayo Carolan - Trinity Archivist

We were also saddened to learn of the recent passing of the following Old Trinity Grammarians.

Peter Stanley Pearse OAM (1937-39) died in August shortly after his 93rd birthday. Peter, who served in the AIF during WWII, was a regular at the Gold Mitre Lunches. He was awarded an OAM in 2004 for service to the welfare of veterans and their families.

Alan Pinkney with his grandsons Stephen and Jean-Pierre DeWaele

Alan Pinkney with his grandsons Stephen and Jean-Pierre DeWaele

Alan Arthur Pinkney (1931-34) passed away at the age of 98 (Trinity’s Oldest Old Boy). During his time at Trinity, Alan was a member of Roberts House and had a successful sporting career including athletics, swimming, diving and football. He also played the piano for the morning Assembly in Arnold Hall and reminisced about how difficult it was to play in winter because Arnold Hall was so cold. Alan enjoyed returning to the School for the Gold Mitre Lunches. His grandsons Stephen DeWaele (1987-92) and Jean-Pierre DeWaele (1988-89) attended Trinity as did his son Graeme Pinkney (1949-1951) and his brother-in-law Ron Williams (1928-1933).  Alan’s family will be holding a Celebration of Life gathering at the Old Kew Post Office function room on October 21.

Bruce Kleinert (1961-66) sadly passed away. Bruce was a Vice-Captain of the School in 1966.

Gerald Davies (1937-45) died in August. His brothers Bob (1937-48), Peter (1945-51) and Ian (1942-51) attended Trinity as did his son Ross (1966-71).

Peter Wearing Smith (1956-58) member of the OTGA Council died on 17 May 2016. Peter worked in insurance agencies but he also loved competing in car rallies, was a keen sailor and a qualified cordon bleu cook.

William (Bill) Reeve (1926-1930) who died recently, preferred participating in sport rather than class work at Trinity. He later became a qualified engineer and fuel technologist. In retirement he was a wonderful volunteer in the School’s archives and contributed unstintingly to the School’s history.